Combat Application Tourniquet: A Must-Have For Your Emergency Aid Kit
A tourniquet is an absolutely essential item in any emergency first aid kit. If properly applied, it can mean the difference between life and death.
The North American Rescue Combat Application Tourniquet (CAT) is a time-tested and true one-handed tourniquet. It is currently used by the US army where it has been proven to be extremely effective at its job. That is, occluding the blood flow in an extremity in case there is any significant hemorrhaging, because of an injury. The U.S Army has run multiple tests to determine its efficacy in treating battlefield combat wounds.
How does the CAT Work?
The Combat Application Tourniquet uses a windlass system that is very durable. It comes equipped with its very own free-moving patented internal band. This band provides pressure to the injured extremity to staunch blood flow. Once the CAT has been tightened properly, bleeding will cease completely, and the operator will be able to lock the windlass in place.
A loop and hook windlass retention strap will subsequently be applied to secure the windlass and thereby maintain pressure during the casualty evacuation procedure. This unique dual securing system has been specifically designed to avoid using clips and screws.
When survival itself is on the line, severe stress might lead to the compromising of fine motor skills, and it becomes difficult to use small parts and components.
Key Features of the CAT
- Proven to be one hundred percent effective at stopping blood flow in both the lower and upper extremities of the human body
- The U.S. Army’s Official Tourniquet for the past 17 years
- In continuous usage by both conventional as well as Special Operation forces
- One-handed application tourniquet
- Quickly stops and controls life-threatening bleeding of the extremities
- Designed to work well in all weather conditions
- Small, portable, and cost-effective
- Weight: 2.7 oz
- Total open length: 37.5 in.
The North American CAT is arguably the best tourniquet around. It has continuously proved itself extremely valuable in all kinds of high-risk situations. The combat application tourniquet might well be the only chance of survival in an emergency situation. This is why It is a great idea to keep one in your vehicle, or your house or office for immediate access in case you ever need it.